Why Go Solar in Massachusetts?
Strong Solar Incentives
On November 26, 2018, the SMART Program became available to solar projects of all types and sizes.1
Add a Battery
With home solar + battery storage, you can power your most needed lights and appliances during a power outage.2
For well qualified buyers. 0% APR for 300 months (if payments made by ACH), no down payment required, available for new solar + battery storage customers. Monthly payment of $3.33 for every $1,000 financed. Excludes tax. Credit score may impact APR and down payment requirements. Not all customers will qualify for credit. APR offer may not be available in all markets. Offer ends 07/31/2021 or as extended. Cannot be combined with any other offers or discounts. See dealer for complete offer details.
Home Solar Incentives
Thanks to a state-wide focus on solar-friendly policies, Massachusetts is a growing home solar market.
In 2018, Massachusetts launched their state-wide solar incentive program, the Solar Massachusetts Renewable Target (SMART) Program. Under the SMART program, solar homeowners with the three main utilities (Eversource, National Grid, and Unitil) are eligible for incentive payments from their utility.
SMART incentive payments are rolled out on a “block” system – as more homeowners go solar, there are fewer funds available for SMART incentive payments. The sooner you go solar, the better!3
Interested in adding a battery to your existing solar system? - If you already receive SMART credits, you may qualify for additional SMART incentives beyond what you are already collecting for your home solar system!4
Beyond protecting your home from grid outages with our Sunnova SunSafe® home solar + battery storage service and +SunSafe® add-on battery service, New England customers can also participate in ConnectedSolutions through Sunnova.1 ConnectedSolutions is a demand response program run by your utility designed to stabilize the New England power grid, and it allows you to get compensated when your home uses energy from your SunSafe® home solar + battery storage system instead of the grid during peak demand periods. This means cash back for you – and a whole lot of feel-good energy!Learn More Here
Massachusetts Utility Rates
Massachusetts has the third highest electricity prices in the U.S. with an average price of .23 cents per kWh.5 In only 5 years, from 2012 to 2017, the average utility rate rose 35% in Massachusetts. In just one year, from 2016 to 2017, the average utility rate rose 6% in Massachusetts.6
With home solar + battery storage, you will be able to reduce the electricity you pull from your utility and protect yourself from high utility rates. Excess solar production is stored in your battery, and your battery can power your home at night, on cloudy days, or during a power outage.
Sunnova Solar Offerings in Massachusetts
Enjoy predictable solar energy costs for 25 years with home solar panels.
Power your home with solar energy day and night, even when the grid is down, with our add-on solar battery storage.2
Our combination solar panel + battery storage offers predictable energy costs and backup energy during power outages.2
Now you can install a new, durable roof along with your state-of-the-art home solar system.
Sunnova Offers A Variety of Ways to Go Solar in Massachusetts
|Sunnova Home Solar Service||Sunnova SunSafe® Solar + Battery Storage Service||Sunnova +SunSafe® Add-on Battery Service|
|Plan||Easy Plan™ Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) with Balanced Billing||Easy Plan™ Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) with Variable Billing||Easy Plan™ Equipment Lease||Easy Own Plan™||Easy Plan™ Equipment Lease||Easy Own Plan™||Easy Own Plan™|
|Plan Description||You buy all of the electricity the system produces at a low solar rate.||You buy all of the electricity the system produces at a low solar rate.||Steady monthly payments to lease your home solar system equipment – may include an optional escalator.||Steady monthly payments to own your home solar system equipment.||Steady monthly payments to lease your solar + battery storage system equipment - may include an optional escalator.||Steady monthly loan payments to own your solar + battery storage system equipment.||Steady monthly loan payments to own your add-on battery storage system.|
Sunnova Protect™ Service7
Home solar protection for 25 years.
System Monitoring & Diagnosis
Corrective Maintenance & Warranty
Hassle-Free Management of Repairs & Replacements
Roof Penetration Warranty8
System Production Guarantee9
Ask Us About Battery Storage
During a power outage, your home solar system will not work unless you have a battery!REQUEST A FREE QUOTE
A solar battery stores excess solar production for later use. The energy stored in your battery can help power your home at night, during times of low solar energy production, or even during a power outage.2
If the power goes out, a home solar-only system will automatically turn off. With a battery, your home solar + battery storage system can continue to generate solar energy, charge your battery, and power your most needed lights and appliances.2
With Sunnova SunSafe®, you get solar panels + battery storage installed together. Enjoy increased energy independence, predictable energy costs, and backup power during power outages.2
Manufacturer’s Warranty10 with Hassle-Free Management of Repairs and Replacements
In addition to the manufacturer’s warranty, Sunnova coordinates all maintenance and repairs for all parts covered, to ensure your experience is hassle-free from start to finish.
Frequently Asked Questions
If your home solar system is tied to your utility (grid-tied) and you don’t have a battery, your home solar system will not work during a power outage. You will not be able to produce or consume solar energy while the grid is down.
In order to have power during a power outage, you will need a home solar + battery storage system.*
- During the day, if there is sun: your solar panels will power your home, and any excess energy will charge your battery.
- At night: your battery can power your essential lights and appliances until it depletes.
* The amount of power available from the battery during a power outage is limited, depending on the loads connected, customer usage and battery configuration (i.e. batteries in certain areas may be set up to provide you with the best economic benefit, which may affect the amount of back-up power available). Solar systems and/or batteries may require repairs after weather events and such repairs may be delayed due to forces outside of our control. No assurances can be given that the solar system or the battery will always work. You should never rely upon either of these to power life support or other medical devices.
Yes! Through our customer portal MySunnova, you can pay your bill online, view your system production, and more.
Your solar system functions very quietly. But rest assured that doesn’t mean it isn’t working. You can track your production through MySunnova customer portal. The reading of your meter is delayed approximately 24 hours.
Solar panels are extremely durable and built to withstand the elements. As a Sunnova customer, your responsibilities will include:
- Trim any trees around your solar system that may block the sun from reaching your solar panels.
- Check that there is no accumulation of leaves, debris, snow, or critters under the solar panels.
- In more arid climate, you may need to spray your solar panels with a garden hose to wash off built-up dust and dirt. You can do this while standing on the ground – we strongly advise against you climbing on your roof for any reason.
Each month, you will receive either a bill or a statement from your utility company, in addition to your Sunnova bill. This is because your home solar system will be grid-tied – during times of low or no solar production, you may need to pull electricity from your utility. You may also be eligible for net metering credits for energy your home solar system exports back to the electric grid. Check with your utility for specific details regarding whether you'll be credited for any excess energy your system generates and exports to the grid.*
If the utility company sends monthly statements in lieu of an actual bill with an amount due, you can expect an annual reconciliation of all electricity usage charges and credits.*
* Sunnova makes no guarantees regarding credit for net energy exported to the electric grid, and any credit provided (now or in the future) is subject to change or termination by executive, legislative or regulatory action.
Benefits for Sunnova Customers
Monitor Your Solar Production and Battery Charge - Sunnova customers have access to our MySunnova portal, where you can monitor your solar production and battery charge, manage your billing options, and more. We also proactively monitor your solar system, and we'll alert you to any issues.
2. The amount of power available from the battery during a power outage is limited, depending on the loads connected, customer usage and battery configuration (i.e. batteries in certain areas may be set up to provide you with the best economic benefit, which may affect the amount of back-up power available). Solar systems and/or batteries may require repairs after weather events and such repairs may be delayed due to forces outside of our control. No assurances can be given that the solar system or the battery will always work. You should never rely upon either of these to power life support or other medical devices
4. If you are already receiving SMART credits from the state of Massachusetts, you may be eligible to receive additional credits when adding a battery. The amount of the incentive will vary annually based on your system’s size and actual production. If you own your PV system, you will need to apply to receive these credits, which will be issued to you directly from the utility. If your PV System is owned by Sunnova and earns SMART credits, we will collect the SMART incentive on your behalf and pass the incentive back to you annually in the form of Visa™ gift card. or other equivalent gift card available at the time, in the amount of the final annual incentive received. Issuance of gift cards will be fulfilled by a third-party provider 10-12 weeks after the anniversary of the customer’s battery contract. Gift cards are non-transferrable, not for resale, not for use at automated gas pumps and not redeemable for cash. Reward gift cards expire twelve (12) months after issuance. Customer will forfeit any unused funds after the expiration term. Visit https://rewards.groupo.com/Docs/CHA2017.pdf to review the cardholder agreement and all terms and conditions of use. Gift cards may be taxable, depending on the value of the item and the federal, state, and local tax laws applicable to the Customer. SMART credits are issued by the utility for up to 10 years after your PV system was initially installed.
5. Sunnova retains discretion to withdraw from and to not participate in the ConnectedSolutions program at any time.
6. EIA Sales and Revenue (1990- Current) - https://www.eia.gov/electricity/data/eia861m/
7. Refer to your Sunnova Protect™ Warranty Agreement or Sunnova Protect™ Limited Warranty Agreement for your complete warranty terms and limitations.
8. Your roof is warranted against leaks from the solar system installation for 10 years. This is separate from any additional warranties you may receive if you also have a new roof installed with your home solar system, including roof installation workmanship and materials warranties.
9. Your solar system production will vary based on weather, shading and other factors and your solar system’s cumulative production will be evaluated annually starting at the end of the third anniversary for purposes of your production guarantee.
10. Refer to the Warranty Agreement for complete warranty terms and limitations.
Thank you for your interest in Sunnova. One of our representatives will be in touch with you shortly