Why Go Solar in California?
Sky-High Utility Rates
California consistently ranks in the top ten states with the highest electricity rates.1
Strong Solar Incentives
The Golden State offers a variety of incentives for solar panels and battery storage.2
Add a Battery
Get reliable, renewable energy – no more stress over time-of-use rates.3
Public Safety Power Shutoffs
▶ Starting in summer 2019, California utilities may turn off your power during extreme weather or wildfire conditions. Power outages could last multiple days.4
▶ During a grid outage, if you have home solar + battery storage, your solar system can continue to produce and store energy during the day to power your most needed lights and appliances.5 Gain more control of your energy during a PSPS.
▶ The cost of a power outage can vary widely. However, there are numerous hidden costs due to a power outage – think about the cost of emergency supplies, potential property damage, as well as the emotional cost caused by potential long-term power outages.
Maximize Time of Use Rates
PG&E, SDG&E, and SCE require time of use (TOU) rates for home solar systems. TOU rates mean that the price you pay for electricity varies based on the time of day you use it. You will pay less for electricity at times of the day when there is less demand on the electric grid, and pay more for electricity during times of day when there is more demand. These are often referred to as off-peak and on-peak periods. In some cases, pricing may also vary from season to season.
|Utility||Reate Plan Name||Highest Rates||Peak Hours||Peak Rate|
|Pacific Gas and Electric: PG&E||E-TOU-A||Summer weekdays Winter weekdays||3-8pm||40¢
|San Diego Gas and Electric: SDG&E||TOU-DR1||Summer weekdays Winter weekdays||3-8pm||55¢
|Southern California Edison: SCE||TOU-D-4-9PM||Summer weekdays Winter weekdays||4-9pm||41¢
Utility Rates Are Rising
California utility rates have been sharply rising since 2004, from 9.9 cents/kWh to 15.68 cents/kWh.6
Home Solar + Battery StoragePower your home day and night with Sunnova SunSafe™, our state-of-the-art solar + battery storage technology.
Home SolarOn average, our customers save 20% with our home solar system plans while also having predictable solar energy costs for 25 years.
Home Solar Protection PlansEnsure your home’s solar system operates to its maximum potential with one of our Sunnova Protect™ Service Plans.
Add-on Solar Battery StorageGet reliable, round-the-clock power with Sunnova +SunSafe, our battery storage technology that connects to your home’s existing solar system.
California Home Solar and Battery Storage Incentives
If you live in California, you may be eligible for certain federal and state incentives.8
▶ Federal – Solar Investment Tax Credit
▶ State – Self-Generation Incentive Program
The Self-Generation Incentive Program (SGIP) only applies to battery storage. Customers of PG&E, SDG&E, SCE, and CSE may be eligible to receive a check from the state of California.9
The actual SGIP incentive amount varies by utility. If approved for the SGIP incentive, customers will receive a check from the state of California. Here is the breakdown by utility as of August 1, 2019. Please note that these may change as the SGIP incentive moves into different steps.
- Southern California Edison (SCE) – Step 5 - SGIP incentive – ($2,900)
- SoCalGas (SCG) – Step 4 - SGIP incentive – ($3,480)
- Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E) and CSE (San Diego Gas and Electric - SDG&E) - PG&E and CSE are currently placing applicants who apply for funds on a waitlist. The program will add applicants in the order in which they are received - the earlier you apply, the better. Projects will be funded as incentive funds become available from cancellations throughout the remainder of the program.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will I have power during a blackout?
If your home solar system is tied to your utility (grid-tied) and you do not have a battery, your home solar system will not work during a power outage. You will not be able to produce or consume solar energy while the grid is down.
In order to have power during a power outage, you will need a home solar + battery storage system.5
- During the day, if there is sun: your solar panels will power your home, and any excess energy will charge your battery.
- At night: your battery can power your essential lights and appliances until it depletes.
Can I pay my Sunnova bill online?
Yes! Through our customer portal MySunnova, you can pay your bill online, view your system production, and more.
How will I know my home solar system is working?
You can monitor your solar system’s production in the “Monitoring” section of our MySunnova customer portal. The reading of your meter is delayed approximately 24 hours.
To ensure optimal performance of your solar system, Sunnova also monitors every system 24/7 at no additional cost.
Will my solar system require regular maintenance or inspection?
Solar panels are extremely durable and built to withstand the elements. As a Sunnova customer, your responsibilities will include:
- Trim any trees around your solar system that may block the sun from reaching your solar panels.
- Check that there is no accumulation of leaves, debris, snow, or critters under the solar panels.
- In more arid climate, you may need to spray your solar panels with a hose to wash off built-up dust and dirt. You can do this while standing on the ground – we strongly advise against you climbing on your roof for any reason.
How does billing work with my utility? Will I get two bills?
Each month, you will receive either a bill or a statement from your utility company, in addition to your Sunnova bill. This is because your home solar system will be grid-tied – during times of low or no solar production, you may need to pull electricity from your utility. You may also be eligible for net metering credits for energy your home solar system exports back to your utility.
If the utility company sends monthly statements in lieu of an actual bill with an amount due, you can expect an annual reconciliation of all electricity usage charges and credits.10
1. EIA Sales and Revenue (1990- Current)
2. Sunnova makes no guarantees regarding customer eligibility for tax benefits. Sunnova does not provide tax advice. Contact your personal tax advisor for eligibility.
3. Customers with time of use (TOU) utility plans may have their battery configured to provide the best economic benefit based on the utility information provided and in accordance with local state laws. The amount of back-up power under this configuration may be affected.
4. Prepare for Power Down
5. The amount of power available from the battery during a power outage is limited, depending on the loads connected, customer usage and battery configuration (i.e. batteries in certain areas may be set up to provide you with the best economic benefit, which may affect the amount of back-up power available). Solar systems and/or batteries may require repairs after weather events and such repairs may be delayed due to forces outside of our control. No assurances can be given that the solar system or the battery will always work. You should never rely upon either of these to power life support or other medical devices.
6. EIA Sales and Revenue (1990- Current)
7. Refer to the Warranty Agreement for complete warranty terms and limitations.
8. You may be eligible for a federal Investment Tax Credit (ITC) with the purchase of a solar battery. To receive the full federal tax credit, you must have federal income tax liability at least equal to the value of the tax credit. Additional tax credits may also be available for homeowners in certain states and territories. Customers in the State of California may participate in the self-generation incentive program (SGIP Program). Sunnova makes no guarantees regarding customer eligibility for tax benefits. Sunnova does not provide tax advice. Contact your personal tax advisor for eligibility.
9. Self Gen CA
10. Sunnova makes no guarantees regarding credit for net energy exported to the electric grid, and any credit provided (now or in the future) is subject to change or termination by executive, legislative or regulatory action.
Thank you for your interest in Sunnova. One of our representatives will be in touch with you shortly