Why Go Solar in Illinois?
Focus on Solar
In 2016, The Illinois Power Agency (IPA) laid out a plan to acquire 25 percent of Illinois' energy from renewable sources by 2025 - this is a requirement from the Future Energy Jobs Act.1
Strong Home Solar Incentives
You may qualify for federal tax credit and state incentives.2
Illinois Solar Incentives
Illinois may not be the sunniest state, but there’s more than enough sunlight to power your solar system! Solar panels perform well even in cold winter climates.
If you’re considering investing in a home solar system, you may be able to take advantage of significant federal tax credit and state incentives.2REQUEST A FREE QUOTE
Incentive: Solar Renewable Energy Certificate (SREC) Payments for Solar System Owners
If you own your solar system, you could be eligible for Illinois Power Agency’s (IPA) generous Solar Renewable Energy Certificate (SREC) program. You may get cash upfront for your solar system!
Because 25 percent of Illinois’ energy must come from renewable sources by 2025, the IPA is encouraging everyone in IL to help meet the 25 percent goal.
SRECs are a way for state agencies to “purchase” the benefit of your solar energy production to add to their renewable energy goals.
Your solar system will contribute to Illinois’ 25 percent renewable energy goal, so IPA will give you cash SRECs upfront based on your solar system’s installed capacity and predicted production. The SCRECs are paid after your system is connected.
The SREC program uses a “block” structure to determine pricing. As more IL residents install solar, there are fewer funds available for SRECS – the sooner you get solar and sign up for SRECs, the better.
|Block Group||Block Category||Block 1||Block 2||Block 3|
|Group A (Ameren)||Small||≤ 10kW||$85.10||$81.70||$78.43|
|Group A (Ameren)||Large||> 10kW - 25kW||$78.70||$75.55||$72.53|
|Group B (ComED)||Small||≤ 10kW||$72.97||$70.05||$67.25|
|Group B (ComED)||Large||> 10kW - 25kW||$73.27||$70.30||$67.49|
Applying for the SREC incentive is easy.
- Starting in winter 2018, you can apply on the Illinois Power Agency ABP website.
- Systems built in/after June 2017 retroactively qualify for the SREC incentive.
Sunnova Solar Offerings in Illinois
Enjoy predictable solar energy costs for 25 years with home solar panels.
Sunnova Offers A Variety of Ways to Go Solar in Illinois
Start Making Your Own Renewable Energy for $0 Upfront Costs:
While many homeowners may be wondering how to go solar in a cold, snowy climate, the reality is, solar is a great investment in cold-weather states. Solar panels are incredibly efficient in cold weather!
|Plan||Sunnova Easy Save (Lease)||Sunnova Easy Own (Loan)|
|Plan Description||Steady monthly payments to lease your home solar system equipment – may include an optional escalator.||Steady monthly payments to own your home solar system equipment.|
Sunnova Protect™ Service3
Home solar protection for 25 years.
System Monitoring & Diagnosis
Corrective Maintenance & Warranty
Hassle-Free Management of Repairs & Replacements
Roof Penetration Warranty4
System Production Guarantee5
Frequently Asked Questions
If your home solar system is tied to your utility (grid-tied) and you don’t have a battery, your home solar system will not work during a power outage. You will not be able to produce or consume solar energy while the grid is down.
In order to have power during a power outage, you will need a home solar + battery storage system.*
- During the day, if there is sun: your solar panels will power your home, and any excess energy will charge your battery.
- At night: your battery can power your essential lights and appliances until it depletes.
* The amount of power available from the battery during a power outage is limited, depending on the loads connected, customer usage and battery configuration (i.e. batteries in certain areas may be set up to provide you with the best economic benefit, which may affect the amount of back-up power available). Solar systems and/or batteries may require repairs after weather events and such repairs may be delayed due to forces outside of our control. No assurances can be given that the solar system or the battery will always work. You should never rely upon either of these to power life support or other medical devices.
Yes! Through our customer portal MySunnova, you can pay your bill online, view your system production, and more.
Your solar system functions very quietly. But rest assured that doesn’t mean it isn’t working. You can track your production through MySunnova customer portal. The reading of your meter is delayed approximately 24 hours.
Solar panels are extremely durable and built to withstand the elements. As a Sunnova customer, your responsibilities will include:
- Trim any trees around your solar system that may block the sun from reaching your solar panels.
- Check that there is no accumulation of leaves, debris, snow, or critters under the solar panels.
- In more arid climate, you may need to spray your solar panels with a garden hose to wash off built-up dust and dirt. You can do this while standing on the ground – we strongly advise against you climbing on your roof for any reason.
Each month, you will receive either a bill or a statement from your utility company, in addition to your Sunnova bill. This is because your home solar system will be grid-tied – during times of low or no solar production, you may need to pull electricity from your utility. You may also be eligible for net metering credits for energy your home solar system exports back to the electric grid. Check with your utility for specific details regarding whether you'll be credited for any excess energy your system generates and exports to the grid.*
If the utility company sends monthly statements in lieu of an actual bill with an amount due, you can expect an annual reconciliation of all electricity usage charges and credits.*
* Sunnova makes no guarantees regarding credit for net energy exported to the electric grid, and any credit provided (now or in the future) is subject to change or termination by executive, legislative or regulatory action.
MySunnova Customer Portal
Monitor Your Solar Production and Battery Charge - Sunnova customers have access to our MySunnova portal, where you can monitor your solar production and battery charge, manage your billing options, and more. We also proactively monitor your solar system, and we'll alert you to any issues.
1. Green Tech Media -
2. You may be eligible for a federal tax credit with the purchase of a solar system. To qualify for the tax credit, you must have federal income tax liability at least equal to the value of the tax credit. Additional tax credits may also be available for homeowners in certain states. Tax incentives are subject to change or termination by executive, legislative or regulatory action. Sunnova makes no guarantees regarding eligibility of any of the system’s costs for tax benefits. Sunnova does not provide tax advice. Contact your personal tax advisor for eligibility requirements.
3. Refer to your Sunnova Protect™ Warranty Agreement or Sunnova Protect™ Limited Warranty Agreement for your complete warranty terms and limitations.
4. Your roof is warranted against leaks from the solar system installation for 10 years. This is separate from any additional warranties you may receive if you also have a new roof installed with your home solar system, including roof installation workmanship and materials warranties.
5. Your solar system production will vary based on weather, shading and other factors and your solar system’s cumulative production will be evaluated annually starting at the end of the third anniversary for purposes of your production guarantee.
Thank you for your interest in Sunnova. One of our representatives will be in touch with you shortly