Why Go Solar in Massachusetts?
Strong Solar Incentives
On November 26, 2018, the SMART Program became available to solar projects of all types and sizes.1
Add a Battery
With home solar + battery storage, you can power your most needed lights and appliances during a power outage.2
Home Solar Incentives - What is SMART?
Thanks to a state-wide focus on solar-friendly policies, Massachusetts is a growing home solar market.
✓In 2018, Massachusetts launched their state-wide solar incentive program, the Solar Massachusetts Renewable Target (SMART) Program. Under the SMART program, solar homeowners with the three main utilities (Eversource, National Grid, and Unitil) are eligible for incentive payments from their utility.
✓SMART incentive payments are rolled out on a “block” system – as more homeowners go solar, there are fewer funds available for SMART incentive payments. The sooner you go solar, the better!3
Interested in adding a battery to your existing solar system? - If you already receive SMART credits, you may qualify for additional SMART incentives beyond what you are already collecting for your home solar system!4
Massachusetts Utility Rates
Massachusetts has the third highest electricity prices in the U.S. with an average price of .23 cents per kWh.5 In only 5 years, from 2012 to 2017, the average utility rate rose 35% in Massachusetts. In just one year, from 2016 to 2017, the average utility rate rose 6% in Massachusetts.6
With home solar + battery storage, you will be able to reduce the electricity you pull from your utility and protect yourself from high utility rates. Excess solar production is stored in your battery, and your battery can power your home at night, on cloudy days, or during a power outage.
Sunnova Solar Service Plans Available in Massachusetts
Add solar panels to your home. Our Sunnova SunSafe® solar panel + battery storage system offers predictable energy costs and backup energy during power outages.1
Add-On Battery Storage
Add a battery to your existing home solar system, and power your most needed lights and appliances even when the power is out.3
Home Solar Protection Plans
Ensure your home’s solar system operates to its maximum potential with one of our Sunnova Protect™ Service Plans include system monitoring, maintenance, and repair.3
Why Go Solar with Sunnova
Have the freedom to live life uninterrupted™ with Sunnova home solar + battery storage.
Massachusetts ranks 8th in the nation for home solar adoption.7 Join your fellow Bay State residents in producing clean, green power.
Sunnova offers a variety of ways to go solar in Massachusetts:
Sunnova Easy Save
|Power Purchase Agreement (PPA)
Sunnova Easy Save Simple
Sunnova Easy Save Monthly
|Loan or Finance Agreement
Sunnova Easy Own
|Steady monthly payments to lease your solar system equipment – may include an optional escalator. 25-year warranty.||Power purchase agreement – you buy all of the electricity the system produces at a lower specified rate. 25-year warranty.||Steady monthly payments to own your solar system equipment. 25-year warranty.|
Ask Us About Battery Storage
During a power outage, your home solar system will not work unless you have a battery!
A solar battery stores excess solar production for later use. The energy stored in your battery can help power your home at night, during times of low solar energy production, or even during a power outage.2
If the power goes out, a home solar-only system will automatically turn off. With a battery, your home solar + battery storage system can continue to generate solar energy, charge your battery, and power your most needed lights and appliances.2
With Sunnova SunSafe®, you get solar panels + battery storage installed together. Enjoy increased energy independence, predictable energy costs, and backup power during power outages.2
Sunnova SunSafe® Easy Save
Sunnova SunSafe® Easy Own
|Steady monthly payments to lease your solar system equipment and battery – may include an optional escalator. 25-year warranty.||Steady monthly loan payments to own your solar system equipment and battery. 25-year warranty.|
We can also add battery storage to your existing solar system.
With Sunnova +SunSafe® add-on battery storage, we’ll coordinate any maintenance and repairs for your battery.8
Benefits for Sunnova Customers
✓ Monitor Your Solar Production and Battery Charge - Sunnova customers have access to our MySunnova portal, where you can monitor your solar production and battery charge, manage your billing options, and more. We also proactively monitor your solar system, and we’ll alert you to any issues.
✓ You’re Covered with Our Sunnova Protect™ Warranty - Our Sunnova Protect™ warranty covers your home solar and Sunnova SunSafe® home solar + storage system for 25 years, including repairs and maintenance.8 Your home solar system will come with a production guarantee - if your Sunnova home solar system isn’t producing the amount of energy we guarantee, we’ll credit or refund you the difference.
We also protect your Sunnova +SunSafe® add-on battery storage for the term of your agreement, including repairs and maintenance for parts under warranty.8
Frequently Asked Questions
Will I have power during a blackout?
If your home solar system is tied to your utility (grid-tied) and you do not have a battery, your home solar system will not work during a power outage. You will not be able to produce or consume solar energy while the grid is down.
In order to have power during a power outage, you will need a home solar + battery storage system.2
- During the day, if there is sun: your solar panels will power your home, and any excess energy will charge your battery.
- At night: your battery can power your essential lights and appliances until it depletes.
Can I pay my Sunnova bill online?
Yes! Through our customer portal MySunnova, you can pay your bill online, view your system production, and more.
How will I know my home solar system is working?
You can monitor your solar system’s production in the “Monitoring” section of our MySunnova customer portal. The reading of your meter is delayed approximately 24 hours.
Will my solar system require regular maintenance or inspection?
Solar panels are extremely durable and built to withstand the elements. As a Sunnova customer, your responsibilities will include:
- Trim any trees around your solar system that may block the sun from reaching your solar panels.
- Check that there is no accumulation of leaves, debris, snow, or critters under the solar panels.
- In more arid climate, you may need to spray your solar panels with a hose to wash off built-up dust and dirt. You can do this while standing on the ground – we strongly advise against you climbing on your roof for any reason.
How does billing work with my utility? Will I get two bills?
Each month, you will receive either a bill or a statement from your utility company, in addition to your Sunnova bill. This is because your home solar system will be grid-tied – during times of low or no solar production, you may need to pull electricity from your utility. You may also be eligible for net metering credits for energy your home solar system exports back to your utility.
If the utility company sends monthly statements in lieu of an actual bill with an amount due, you can expect an annual reconciliation of all electricity usage charges and credits.9
The amount of power available from the battery during a power outage is limited, depending on the loads connected, customer usage and battery configuration (i.e. batteries in certain areas may be set up to provide you with the best economic benefit, which may affect the amount of back-up power available). Solar systems and/or batteries may require repairs after weather events and such repairs may be delayed due to forces outside of our control. No assurances can be given that the solar system or the battery will always work. You should never rely upon either of these to power life support or other medical devices.
4. If you are already receiving SMART credits from the state of Massachusetts, you may be eligible to receive additional credits when adding a battery. The amount of the incentive will vary annually based on your system’s size and actual production. If you own your PV system, you will need to apply to receive these credits, which will be issued to you directly from the utility. If your PV System is owned by Sunnova and earns SMART credits, we will collect the SMART incentive on your behalf and pass the incentive back to you annually in the form of Visa™ gift card. or other equivalent gift card available at the time, in the amount of the final annual incentive received. Issuance of gift cards will be fulfilled by a third-party provider 10-12 weeks after the anniversary of the customer’s battery contract. Gift cards are non-transferrable, not for resale, not for use at automated gas pumps and not redeemable for cash. Reward gift cards expire twelve (12) months after issuance. Customer will forfeit any unused funds after the expiration term. Visit https://rewards.groupo.com/Docs/CHA2017.pdf to review the cardholder agreement and all terms and conditions of use. Gift cards may be taxable, depending on the value of the item and the federal, state, and local tax laws applicable to the Customer. SMART credits are issued by the utility for up to 10 years after your PV system was initially installed.
5. EIA https://www.eia.gov/state/rankings/?sid=MA#series/31
6. EIA Sales and Revenue (1990- Current) - https://www.eia.gov/electricity/data/eia861m/
8. Refer to your Warranty Agreement for complete warranty terms and limitations. For batteries, the system warranty is based on the manufacturers’ warranty.
9. Sunnova makes no guarantees regarding credit for net energy exported to the electric grid, and any credit provided (now or in the future) is subject to change or termination by executive, legislative or regulatory action.
Thank you for your interest in Sunnova. One of our representatives will be in touch with you shortly