Why Go Solar in California?
Sky-High Utility Rates
California consistently ranks in the top ten states with the highest electricity rates.1
Strong Solar Incentives
The Golden State offers a variety of incentives for solar panels and battery storage.2
Add a Battery
Get reliable, renewable energy – no more stress over time-of-use rates.3
Beat the heat with affordable solar
Electric bill rising with the temperature? Take control of your energy costs! We offer flexible financing options on home solar systems and battery storage to meet your unique home energy needs.
Request a no-obligation quote now and be entered into our Cool Summer Giveaway for a chance to win $2,000.*See all deals
Public Safety Power Shutoffs
Starting in summer 2019, California utilities may turn off your power during extreme weather or wildfire conditions. Power outages could last multiple days.4
During a grid outage, if you have home solar + battery storage, your solar system can continue to produce and store energy during the day to power your most needed lights and appliances.3 Gain more control of your energy during a PSPS.
The cost of a power outage can vary widely. However, there are numerous hidden costs due to a power outage – think about the cost of emergency supplies, potential property damage, as well as the emotional cost caused by potential long-term power outages.REQUEST A FREE QUOTE
Sunnova Solar Offerings in California
Lock in a low rate for 25 years with home solar panels.
Power your home with solar energy day and night, even when the grid is down, with our add-on solar battery storage.3
Our combination solar panel + battery storage offers predictable energy costs and backup energy during power outages.3
Now you can install a new, durable roof along with your state-of-the-art home solar system.
Sunnova Offers A Variety of Ways to Go Solar in California
|Sunnova Home Solar Service||Sunnova SunSafe® Solar + Battery Storage Service||Sunnova +SunSafe® Add-on Battery Service|
|Plan||Easy Plan™ Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) with Balanced Billing||Easy Plan™ Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) with Variable Billing||Easy Plan™ Equipment Lease||Easy Own Plan™||Easy Plan™ Equipment Lease||Easy Own Plan™||Easy Own Plan™|
|Plan Description||You buy all of the electricity the system produces at a low solar rate.||You buy all of the electricity the system produces at a low solar rate.||Steady monthly payments to lease your home solar system equipment – may include an optional escalator.||Steady monthly payments to own your home solar system equipment.||Steady monthly payments to lease your solar + battery storage system equipment - may include an optional escalator.||Steady monthly loan payments to own your solar + battery storage system equipment.||Steady monthly loan payments to own your add-on battery storage system.|
Maximize Time of Use Rates5
PG&E, SDG&E, and SCE require time of use (TOU) rates for home solar systems. TOU rates mean that the price you pay for electricity varies based on the time of day you use it. You will pay less for electricity at times of the day when there is less demand on the electric grid, and pay more for electricity during times of day when there is more demand. These are often referred to as off-peak and on-peak periods. In some cases, pricing may also vary from season to season.
|Utility||Reate Plan Name||Highest Rates||Peak Hours||Peak Rate|
|Pacific Gas and Electric: PG&E||E-TOU-A||Summer weekdays Winter weekdays||3-8pm||40¢
|San Diego Gas and Electric: SDG&E||TOU-DR1||Summer weekdays Winter weekdays||3-8pm||55¢
|Southern California Edison: SCE||TOU-D-4-9PM||Summer weekdays Winter weekdays||4-9pm||41¢
Sunnova Protect™ Service6
Home solar protection for 25 years
System Monitoring & Diagnosis
Corrective Maintenance & Warranty
Hassle-Free Management of Repairs & Replacements
Roof Penetration Warranty7
System Production Guarantee8
Limited Manufacturer’s Warranty9 with Hassle-Free Management of Repairs and Replacements
In addition to the manufacturer’s warranty, Sunnova coordinates all maintenance and repairs for all parts covered, to ensure your experience is hassle-free from start to finish.
California Home Solar and Battery Storage Incentives
If you live in California, you may be eligible for certain federal and state incentives.2
Federal – Tax credit
State – Self-Generation Incentive Program
The Self-Generation Incentive Program (SGIP) only applies to battery storage. Customers of PG&E, SDG&E, SCE, and CSE may be eligible to receive a check from the state of California.10
The actual SGIP incentive amount varies by utility. If approved for the SGIP incentive, customers will receive a check from the state of California. Here is the breakdown by utility as of August 1, 2019. Please note that these may change as the SGIP incentive moves into different steps.
- Southern California Edison (SCE) – Step 5 - SGIP incentive – ($2,900)
- SoCalGas (SCG) – Step 4 - SGIP incentive – ($3,480)
- Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E) and CSE (San Diego Gas and Electric - SDG&E) - PG&E and CSE are currently placing applicants who apply for funds on a waitlist. The program will add applicants in the order in which they are received - the earlier you apply, the better. Projects will be funded as incentive funds become available from cancellations throughout the remainder of the program.
Frequently Asked Questions
If your home solar system is tied to your utility (grid-tied) and you don’t have a battery, your home solar system will not work during a power outage. You will not be able to produce or consume solar energy while the grid is down.
In order to have power during a power outage, you will need a home solar + battery storage system.*
- During the day, if there is sun: your solar panels will power your home, and any excess energy will charge your battery.
- At night: your battery can power your essential lights and appliances until it depletes.
* The amount of power available from the battery during a power outage is limited, depending on the loads connected, customer usage and battery configuration (i.e. batteries in certain areas may be set up to provide you with the best economic benefit, which may affect the amount of back-up power available). Solar systems and/or batteries may require repairs after weather events and such repairs may be delayed due to forces outside of our control. No assurances can be given that the solar system or the battery will always work. You should never rely upon either of these to power life support or other medical devices.
Yes! Through our customer portal MySunnova, you can pay your bill online, view your system production, and more.
Your solar system functions very quietly. But rest assured that doesn’t mean it isn’t working. You can track your production through MySunnova customer portal. The reading of your meter is delayed approximately 24 hours.
Solar panels are extremely durable and built to withstand the elements. As a Sunnova customer, your responsibilities will include:
- Trim any trees around your solar system that may block the sun from reaching your solar panels.
- Check that there is no accumulation of leaves, debris, snow, or critters under the solar panels.
- In more arid climate, you may need to spray your solar panels with a garden hose to wash off built-up dust and dirt. You can do this while standing on the ground – we strongly advise against you climbing on your roof for any reason.
Each month, you will receive either a bill or a statement from your utility company, in addition to your Sunnova bill. This is because your home solar system will be grid-tied – during times of low or no solar production, you may need to pull electricity from your utility. You may also be eligible for net metering credits for energy your home solar system exports back to the electric grid. Check with your utility for specific details regarding whether you'll be credited for any excess energy your system generates and exports to the grid.*
If the utility company sends monthly statements in lieu of an actual bill with an amount due, you can expect an annual reconciliation of all electricity usage charges and credits.*
* Sunnova makes no guarantees regarding credit for net energy exported to the electric grid, and any credit provided (now or in the future) is subject to change or termination by executive, legislative or regulatory action.
1. EIA Sales and Revenue (1990- Current)
2. You may be eligible for a federal tax credit with the purchase of a solar system. To qualify for the tax credit, you must have federal income tax liability at least equal to the value of the tax credit. Additional tax credits may also be available for homeowners in certain states. Tax incentives are subject to change or termination by executive, legislative or regulatory action. Sunnova makes no guarantees regarding eligibility of any of the system’s costs for tax benefits. Sunnova does not provide tax advice. Contact your personal tax advisor for eligibility requirements.
3. The amount of power available from the battery during a power outage is limited, depending on the loads connected, customer usage and battery configuration (i.e. batteries in certain areas may be set up to provide you with the best economic benefit, which may affect the amount of back-up power available). Solar systems and/or batteries may require repairs after weather events and such repairs may be delayed due to forces outside of our control. No assurances can be given that the solar system or the battery will always work. You should never rely upon either of these to power life support or other medical devices
4. Prepare for Power Down
5. Customers with time of use (TOU) utility plans may have their battery configured to provide the best economic benefit based on the utility information provided and in accordance with local state laws. The amount of back-up power under this configuration may be affected.
6. Refer to your Sunnova Protect™ Warranty Agreement or Sunnova Protect™ Limited Warranty Agreement for your complete warranty terms and limitations.
7. Your roof is warranted against leaks from the solar system installation for 10 years. This is separate from any additional warranties you may receive if you also have a new roof installed with your home solar system, including roof installation workmanship and materials warranties.
8. Your solar system production will vary based on weather, shading and other factors and your solar system’s cumulative production will be evaluated annually starting at the end of the third anniversary for purposes of your production guarantee.
9. Refer to the Warranty Agreement for complete warranty terms and limitations.
10. Self Gen CA
Thank you for your interest in Sunnova. One of our representatives will be in touch with you shortly